Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Ragamuffin Garland

Once the Christmas garland was down at the shop it became very obvious that it would be missed.  With the sun going down early during these wintery days the shop gets dark, so we had to figure out a way to light it up.  I came across this wonderful post from Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage.  She shared a how to on making a Ragamuffin Garland using a string of repurposed Christmas lights.


I decided I had to give it a try.  Gina bought beautiful coordinating fabrics to create this gorgeous garland.  


Since I'm more of a "use what I have" kind of girl, I went searching around for the fabrics.  I managed to come up with a burlap bag, some scraps of burlap fabric, some leftovers from a chair recovering and a few mismatched cotton napkins that I'd never used.  And since I wasn't sure what I'd end up with I don't have pictures of the supplies.  But I do have some of the finished product!


This project was so easy.  I just cut up my fabrics in strips and started tying knots...


And kept tying knots...and after a very long time and a lot of knots...


My fingers were numb...but the garland was done!


Let there be LIGHT!



I'm linking up with Tea Rose HomeSew Woodsy, Serenity Now, and Beyond the Picket Fence.  I just love seeing what everyone else is up to!

15 comments:

  1. Looks great...hmmm, now you've got me thinking. I may have to do this too...it's nice to have some "filler" to add warmth to the space. Thanks!!! Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be great to add some light to some of my booth displays. Thanks!!!
    Sherry@Back2Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks wonderful! I didn't buy my fabrics, it was all stuff in my leftovers - great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this & thank you for linking up to Sew Woodsy! I'm follower number 99!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty. Great idea! I might try one with red and white fabrics for Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the garland you've made, but your grain sacks....they are fabulous. Have a great rest of the week and thanks again for stopping by, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum - I'm lovin every bit of this room - the ticking in the garland - the display case the lake country crate....mmmm all chippy goodness

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - I love all the touches...the little things like those red hinges are fab. Off to check out the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kind of girl...Using what you can find around the house...Looks great...I am also loving that cabinet.....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this - but you knew I would, right?! So they're for sale? How/where/what's the price? I'd love one (too lazy/busy to make my own just now). Great work (as always), ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty... I got to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely!!! I really like the fabrics you chose for yours. :) I need something like that to dress up my post-Christmas house. Would you mind adding a link back to me too, please? :) Thanks so much for joining my party. I hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete