Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lilacs for a lovely lady...

I often sit down to write this blog and wonder if I should add a little more personal info to let you all get to know me better.  I'll sensor you from some of the crazy that I call life but I thought it'd be fitting that I add some more of "me" to these posts.  So with all the lilacs in bloom I can't help but think about my grandmother.  They were her favorites...


And since she passed only 6 months ago,  I often find myself stopping to "smell the lilacs".  I think losing someone often makes you do that...
My sweet grandmother's passing was quite a shock.  She was diagnosed with cancer and was gone a short 3 months later.  And the sweet scent of the lilacs brings back so many wonderful memories for me.


There is something so nostalgic about lilacs...


For me, they are so full of memories...of a woman so sweet, so kind and so full of life that she filled a room with her presence even though she was a mire 5 foot tall.  A woman who loved people, loved life and was so easy to love.  

"Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. " ~Anonymous


I'm linking up to Very Merry Vintage Style


7 comments:

  1. How precious that you have such memories of you Grandmother. My dads mother passed when I was 6 months and mom mother I really didn't know well as they lived so far away. I was just wondering what there favorite flower might have been.

    Your lilacs are so lovely- the blooms all froze here in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,

    What a touching post. Lilacs are such a lovely flower in their own right, but for you to be able to associate them with your grandmother makes them that much more special.

    I'm visiting after you entered my giveaway and I just wanted to say what a beautiful store you have! I've never been to Nebraska (though I've always wanted to visit since I adore Willa Cather and her writings) but if I make it to Lincoln any time soon, I will visit the store.

    Thanks again for entering the giveaway and good luck!

    Take care,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet and loving post, your lilacs are beautiful. IT's so nice to have our wonderful memories! xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. he scent of lilacs is Heavenly and I'm so happy to they tie you to your Grandmother, that is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't lilacs fragrantly delicious, I make soap and my bestseller is lilac, love it!
    Have a great day!
    Ido
    ARCE French of Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post! Love your story--and all your pretty lilac bundles are gorgeous and I bet they smell heavenly! Thanks so much for linking to my Share the Love Link Party!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Mary Ellen in the first comment, I too did not get to know my Grandmothers...but I do believe one of them had Lilacs in her garden, and I grew up with them in all my aunts gardens..they are now one of my all time favorites and I have many different varieties...11 for sure. A great old fashion shrub with great old memories..Thanks Grandma

    ReplyDelete